What is most important in hardware for your level of playing?
My top 4:
- Grafics card (most important)
- Mousepad (less important)
- Grafics card
It's very important to have a high FPS in game. FPS means frames per second. You can find it in right down corner of screen in game
Right corner of screen in game
I recommend more than 50 FPS. Test your FPS value on forge map (type in game: /map forge).
You can increase your FPS by turning off some effects (in game: main/options/gfx).
Note. There is v-sync option that limits your FPS by vertical refresh frequency of your monitor. If this option is on, then your FPS will be in 60-120 range. We recommend to turn off this option (in game: main/options/display).
Also, Sauerbraten has the max number of FPS. You can change it by /maxfps command up to 1000 FPS. Default value is 200 FPS.
Mouse is very important. We recommend use cable mouse Laser mouse with cable is best choice.
Use monitor > 20". Hight resolution is important too. Look at following picture.
Object - green armor. You can see number of pixels for each resolution
Good mousepad provides smooth sliding of your mouse. Smooth sliding improve your aiming.
II. Mouse tuning
- I recommend to set sensitivity as you can see on following picture.
If you move by mouse about 6cm, you will turn 180 degrees in game
- I recommend to play without hudgun, You can turn it off (type in game: /hudgun 0 or in game: main/options/game).
Sometimes you cant see enemy behind your weapon, you will not see weapon (then you will recognize weapon by ammo icon) if you will turn off your hudgun.
- Sometimes you can see enemy's shadow sooner than enemy's body, it can help to get ready shot. Look at following picture.
- You can turn it on (in game: main/options/gfx)
- Its not so much important, if you will get fps<50, dont turn it on.
- I recommend to change your crosshair.
- I use this crosshair, its good for snipe. DOWNLOAD (extract and copy file to Sauerbraten/data)
- degrave's crosshair .
- You can find other crosshairs HERE.
- You can change crosshairsize (type in game: /crosshairsize #) # = number (I use 12). Smaller crosshair = better snipe, but very small crosshair is bad (you dont see it very well on screen).
- Weapon-jumps are very important for playing. You can jump to some inapproachable places in map where are often quads or health boosts.
- You can use all weapons (except fist).
- You must shot under yourself together with pressing jump button.
- On following picture you can see how much you can jump by all weapons.
1) Clasic no weapon-jumps (2 floors)
2) Chaingun and shotgun jumps (3 floors)
3) Rifle jumps (4 floors)
4) Rocket jumps (9 floors)
5) Granade jumps (13 floors)
For example: With weapon-jumps I can easily get quad damage on complex map.
- You can attack your enemy (at other side of wall) by shoting rockets to the walls
- Look at following picture. You can see I would be injured if I will be takeing green armor.
- Maxroll if default 2, but this is bad for playing, it is bad for aim when you are moving left to right.
- Turn it off please (type in game: /maxroll 0)
- You can run faster in game using some weapons, mainly rocket launcher and chaingun.
- Its very useful in CTF mode.
You must shot about 45 degrees under yourself
You MUST jump during the shoting by chaingun. You can shot enemy in same time.
- Its very good defence in CTF mode, you shot granades behind your way.
- Granade damage is about 64 in Trooper Edition!
- If you doing jumpshots, enemy must be very fast to aim you, so it will give you good chance to be not killed.
num name damage reload dam/sec 0 fist 50 0.25sec 200 1 shotgun 20x10 1.4sec 143 2 chaingun 30 0.1sec 300 3 rocket launcher 120 0.8sec 150 4 rifle 100 1.5sec 66 5 grenade launcher 75 0.5sec 100 6 pistol 25 0.5sec 50
Items that can be picked up:
- 6 types of ammo (10 shells, 5 rockets, 20 bullets, 5 rifle rounds, 10 grenades, 30 pistol ammo) (to a max of 30/15/60/15/30/120, respawn 12/9/6 seconds)
- health (adds 25 to a max of MAXHEALTH (initially 100), respawn 20/15/10 seconds)
- health boost (adds 10 to your MAXHEALTH until the end of the current map, respawn 60 seconds)
- light armour (100, absorbs 40% of damage, respawn 20 seconds)
- heavy armour (200, absorbs 60% of damage, respawn 20 seconds)
- quad powerup (4x damage for 20 seconds, respawn 60 seconds)
- Its combinations of using chaingun + rifle or rocket launcher or shotgun.
- For example you can shot 3 times by chaingun + rifle = Shot - Reload - Shot - Reload - Shot - Reload - Shot (rifle)
- I will take time: Shot - 0,1sec - Shot - 0,1sec - Shot - 0,1sec - Shot (rifle) = 190 damage in 0,3 seconds!
- Its very useful thing for insta modes
- Its binded G by default, I recommend to change bind to right mouse button. (type in game: /bind "MOUSE2" [togglezoom])
- You can change sensitivity. (type in game: /zoomsens #) # = number
- Its useful for very long maps, it will make lower sensitivity by pressing button after unpress is your sensitivity back
- You can aim much better and accurately.
- Copy following code to your config.cfg in Sauerbraten folder (open it in notepad)
bind "Z" [sensitivity $z_sensitivity; onrelease [sensitivity $norm_sensitivity]] "norm_sensitivity" =  "z_sensitivity" = !!! norm_sensitivity is the same like your sensitivity and z_sensitivity is a bit lower than your normal sensitivity
- You have A W S D buttons default set to directions
- Its better to use S E D F, why? Look at following picture.
You can find buttons withouth looking on keyboard becouse you will feel dash or dot on F key.
bind "E" [forward]
bind "D" [backward]
bind "F" [right]
bind "S" [left]
- 6 weapons (except fist) you can find in game.
- I recommend bind 2 weapons for 1 key, exactly R T G keys
bind "R" [cycleweapon 4 6]
bind "T" [cycle weapon 1 5]
bind "G" [cycle weapon 3 2]
Music in Cube 2 is very aloud. I recommend to turn down your music volume (or mute) by command /soundvol (in game: menu/options/sound). You can hear sounds better now, you can hear enemy jumps or entering to teleports.